Re: ATA disk performance (ICH2 controller), some tests and comparison with Linux 2.6.5

From: dima <_pppp_at_mail.ru>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:58:09 +0400

> > deleteme.now is about 488 MB, rate about 100 MB/sec!!
> >

> How much ram do you have? I think Linux is tricking you here, caching
> the writes in ram.
Linux is "tricking" you mounting it's filesystems async by default.
I was getting the same performance as in linux mounting an ufs
filesystem with -o async, but in the case of copying from another
(mounted with -o noatime option only fs). In either was copying from the
same drive performes much worse than a linux (say, 55MB/s vs 11MB/s on a
modern SCSI drive).
So, it's not an ATA problem only.