Re: Laptop recommendations?

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:27:51 -0700
> From: Sean McNeil <sean_at_mcneil.com>
> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:12:46 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>

> --=-w2ACeimMzC8gvQIRU6/Q
>
> On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 14:57, George Hartzell wrote:
> > Sean McNeil writes:
> >  > On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 14:16, George Hartzell wrote:
> >  > > Peter Schultz writes:
> >  > >  > How far off are we from a stable version of FreeBSD PPC?  Apple's=
> =20
> >  > >  > laptops are sweet.
> >  > >=20
> >  > > Except for the D#_at_% caps lock key.  It's IN THE WRONG PLACE and
> >  > > apparent best tool for swapping it around (uControl) doesn't work
> >  > > reliably and the dang led stays on anyway....
> >  >=20
> >  > Huh?  I'm looking at my powerbook right now and the caps lock key is i=
> >  > the exact same place as it is on my logitec keyboard and my compaq
> >  > laptop.  Only difference that I see is the backspace key says delete a=
> nd
> >  > there is no "delete" key that kills the character on the cursor.
> >=20
> > Yeah, I'm an old weirdo [who also uses emacs a lot].  I grew up with
> > the control key being that big sucker just to the left of the 'A' key,
> > and reaching down and under to the bottom row bothers my left
> > wrist/hand.  I'm otherwise keyboard agnostic (I don't care where the
> > esc key is, I just use ctrl-[ and I'm used to figuring out just what
> > the BS/Del key sends) but the ctrl key is important.  Fortunately, on
> > PC hardware, it's easy enough to get it where i want/like/need it.
>
> I see what you mean.  But they moved that a long time ago.  I'm amazed
> you have managed to stick with the old positioning.  The feel of a
> Logitech keyboard is pretty sweet.

I still refuse to acknowledge Microsoft's mangling of the previously
standard location of the control key. I always remap it to where it
really belongs.

For those who were not around when it happened, Microsoft thoughtfully
moved the control key to its bottom row making it hard to use and by
doing so, made the most popular word processor of the day (Wordstar)
much harder to use as it uses control characters about as much as Emacs.
It has been claimed that this is the reason that it was moved, but it is
clear that Wordstar started losing traction in the market quickly
leaving only WordPerfect and MS Word to fight it out.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)