Re: Proper way to run bind9

From: Crist J. Clark <cristjc_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:41:11 -0700
<bikeshed_alert>
Has the crew importing BIND 9 considered whether this may be
a chance to move FreeBSD's default home for zone files out
of /etc/namedb? Leaving named.conf under /etc is perfectly
fine, but I've always found something... unsavory about having
slave and dynamic zone files living under /etc. That is, I,
and I know some others as well, find the idea of having daemon
processes writing files in /etc suboptimal. It also messes
with that dream of a FreeBSD where / and /usr (if they are
not on one partition anyway) can easily be mounted read-only
without breaking stuff.

Yes, of course, the purists can configure the BIND root to
be anywhere, but defaulting to /etc still seems like a bad
way to start off those who do not know any better. Perhaps
this is an opportunity to move to a /var/named or something
like that?
</bikeshed_alert>
--
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark_at_alum.mit.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjc_at_freebsd.org