RE: Low volume sound on Dell Precision 530 (snd_ich)

From: Jan Mikkelsen <janm-freebsd-current_at_transactionware.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:07:12 +1000
Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:27,
> janm-freebsd-current_at_transactionware.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just started running RELENG_5 after having run
> RELENG_4 for a while.
> >
> > After upgrading to 5.3-BETA3 (fresh install from ISO), the
> sound volume is
> > very low.  Running recent sources doesn't change things.
> >
> > I did have a similar problem with RELENG_4, but I could
> work around it by
> > explicitly loading snd_ich rather than snd_pcm.
> Unfortunately, that isn't
> > helping with 5.3-BETA.
> >
> > This is a Dell Precision 530 with an i860 chipset.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this before?  Any suggestions?
>
> Try fiddling with the mixer settings?
>
> eg..
> mixer pcm 100
> mixer ogain 100
> mixer vol 100

Thanks.

Only "mixer ogain" and "mixer pcm" change the actual volume on this machine.
"mixer cd" does affect CD playback volume, but I need to increase ogain from
the default 50:50 to get an acceptable volume.

"mixer vol" has no effect;  the actual volume stays constant as I change the
volume from 0 to 100.  This seems like a bug, but perhaps I'm missing
something.

Regards,

Jan Mikkelsen