Random processes hanging in unkillable state in -BETA6

From: Damian Gerow <dgerow_at_afflictions.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:02:22 -0400
I have a number of processes hanging in an unkillable state now that I've
upgraded from -BETA2 to -BETA6.  Two are ports (firefox and ogle), and one
is 'dig'.

I have no idea what's going on.  I've yet to try to gdb any of the
processes.  I remembered yesterday that I had changed my LANG to
en_CA.ISO8859-15 in a quest to get international character support on the
commandline, and some apps have been complaining about that.  Could that be
causing the trouble?

Then today, after using dig successfully a few times, it just hung.  Any
further attempts to use dig result in the same thing -- no output at all,
and I can't kill the process.  It just sits there.  If I try to attach to
the running process via ptrace, that hangs as well (though I *can* kill that
gdb process).

Does anyone have any suggestions?