Re: 6-cur doesn't find ad0p3 with MBR and GPT on the same disk

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 04:33:03 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Emanuel Strobl wrote:

> I upgraded a experimenting box from 5.4 to 6 with the result that 6 can't find
> my GPT slices.
> The disk additionally contains an MBR for booting, I'm on x86...
>
> Is there any trick to convince 6 to accept GPT slices after mounting root from
> the same disk, traditonally from ad0s1a, so I can continue mounting /usr
> a.s.o. which are on ad0p3?
>
> With the old 5.4 kernel it was no problem, but userland is already -current so
> I cannot login anymore :(

Just as a wild guess, this could possibly be related to the ata-mkIII
commit. I don't have anything that can fix your problem under current, but
here's how you can get your system back online:

Boot from the 5.4-pre or 5.3-rel cd and do a binary upgrade on top of your
-current installation. It will get you to the point where you can backup
your data and decide what you want to do from there.

This might be too little too late, but following the "safe upgrade steps"
in src/UPDATING would have prevented this situation (You really should
follow those, *especially* when bumping major versions of FreeBSD). Oh
well, live and learn... :-)

Regards,
Andy