Re: Can't change partition table anymore

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:45:17 +0930
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:39, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> > Make sure you set it back to 0 after you're done.
>
> Thanx, I'll try, but why fdisk/sysinstall don't do that automatically for
> me as it was before for many years?

It's not fdisk or sysinstalls job to second guess you.

Altering the MBR while you have a partition mounted is potentially quite
dangerous.

The reason it was possible in the past was because there was no protection
against this kind of thing.

> F.e. I can't even change active boot partition. What is foot-shooting
> prevention in that case? I see nothing but stupidity.

Use boot0cfg and the FreeBSD bootloader instead?

It disallows writing the MBR full stop - it does not try and work out what is
changing.

Arguably it should be more intelligent, but.. patches accepted ;)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum