Re: Can't change partition table anymore

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:24:11 -0500
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <1112632713.71324.52.camel_at_buffy.york.ac.uk>, Gavin Atkinson writes:
>

>>Only the most anti-gun people would say that the safety catch should
>>consist of a codeword only known by the guy who designed the gun and
>>four or five other people who work at the factory.
>

> But you have to admit that would reduce gun-violence if it was true,
> right ?  :-)
>

>>We're not talking about curb-side child-height baskets.  We're talking
>>about people who should know what they are doing (they have root, after
>>all), entering commands which they expect to work...
>

> Sorry, I disagree.
>
> This was true when root was Ken, Dennis and Brian.
>
> Today root is Tom, Dick and Harry and they need sensible padding.

So, I went in to sysinstall, and attempted to blast my old Windows partition from my drive.  sysinstall would not let me, because of this protection.  I'm not using the windows partition at all (not mounted), it just happens to be on the disk my root partition is on.  I'm not sure how I would be able to hurt myself by removing a partition not involved in FreeBSD at all..

To be completely clear here, warnings and such are fine - even ask me 'Are you sure?' if you'd like to be Windows-esque, but one of the great reasons to use any unix-like OS (specifically FreeBSD), is the power to do what you want without the OS trapping your every move.  I can easily dd over my filesystems, I can rm -rf /boot, I can do all kinds of simpler mistakes that hurt myself, but changing a partition using the standard setup/install tool that is packaged with the OS doesn't work, doesn't ask me 'are you sure', nothing.  Just fails with a message that tells you nothing with regards to the real problem.

I'm starting to wonder what the argument here is, or why there is resistance to changing it.  It seems to obvious to me that this is something that needs to be changed somehow - either back to it's previous functionality until something can be decided, or a real fix put in.

Please, can we make it so we can administer our partitions again without tooling with debug sysctls?

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.