Re: Heads up: gtar gone from base system

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:33:04 +0200
On Tuesday, 5. April 2005 17:33, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> David Schultz wrote:
> > ... a quick fix would be to accept --use-compress-program as
> > an undocumented option and ignore it.
>
> Tempting, tempting.... ;-/

Not one bit, IMHO. I can't imagine a single case where something would use
--use-compress-program and it would continue to work if the tar in question
simply ignored it. In ark's case, ark would just fail to extract an archive
completely silently, making it harder to diagnose what's going wrong.

Mapping it to -z and relying on libarchives autodetection would be somewhat
better. Actually implementing it would still be best. And useful, too.

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org