Re: Panic on mount with write-locked USB media (umass)

From: Charles Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:47:03 -0400
On Apr 5, 2005, at 3:36 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Then I plugged it in with the write lock switch on and tried to mount
> it.  "mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0s1: Permission denied" Hey! I'm root! This
> is supposed to work. Sounds like the partitioning and GEOM foot
> shooting
> thread. Oh, well, but this really could be handled better.

What happens if you try to mount a read-only NFS volume as read-write?
Being root gives one superhuman powers over the local machine, but it
does not make a device which is write-protected by hardware writeable.

It would be useful if mount was smart enough to notice when it is
dealing with a read-only device, and try to mount such things
read-only, rather than trying to mount things read-write by default and
failing.  Of course, the system shouldn't panic, either.  :-)

--
-Chuck