RE: vesa 1024x768 mode in future version? to the freebsd community

From: Didier Wiroth <didier.wiroth_at_mcesr.etat.lu>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:05:09 +0200
Yes, I agree. Stability and robustness is priority number 1.
Having an option like "Boot FreeBSD with HighD Console" in the boot
menu, like "Boot FreeBSD ACPI disabled" would not hurt anybody.
May be it would also be possible to have something in loader.conf:
vesa_load="YES"
vesa_resolution="MODE_322"

Or/and an additional kernel option to enable it in a custom kernel,
would be ok to.
If the kernel would crash, you could still always boot the default
kernel.

Well to RELENG_5 or 6 is not really important to me, the important part
is that the freebsd core team think about a possible integration in the
"near" future :-))

>On one hand it would be pretty useful to have a high resolution
console, on the other hand, I wouldn't like to see the FreeBSD Kernel
crashing while booting, because of some faulty graphics
>card.
>I recently had the problem on Gentoo Linux (2.6.8), that it just didn't
recognized my graphics card and therefor the kernel crashed due to some
framebuffer problems.
>That's annoying!
>If FreeBSD would implement a high resolution console (by use of either
FrameBuffer or VESA), than it never ever should be the default for your
installation.
>And even if you enabled it, the kernel should never crash. Instead it
should give an error message, telling me "Hej buddy, your graphics card
won't work with VESA" and then scaling down to old >fashioned low res
console ...
> it occours.
>Doesn't matter to me wether I'll have this feature in 6-stable or
MFC'ed to RELENG_5. It has to be stable.