Re: Reproducible sig 11 with bash2

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:09:02 -0700
On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 03:01:56PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I ran in to this odd problem by making a typo. By following the below
> steps, bash2 will exit with signal 11 and dump core. The user will get
> booted out of the system if it is their primary shell.
>

> 1) Type in "blah`" and press enter 4 times.
>
> ---
> # blah`
> >

> ---
>
> 2) Hit Ctrl-D.
>
> ---
> > -bash: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
> -bash: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> ---
>
> 3) Hit the arrow up key, to repeat the last command.
>
> ---
> # blah`
>

> ---
>
> 4) Hit the backspace key 4 times, to return to the value "blah`"
>
> ---
> # blah`
> ---
>
> 5) Hit enter. Bash will now exit with sig 11.
>
> Dmesg will show the following
>
> pid 83287 (bash), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>
> This only happens on -CURRENT, 5.4 is ok. I am running FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT
> #0: Wed Mar 30 20:17:38 EST 2005.

I can verify this doesn't happen on at least one RedHat box as well.
This leads me to think malloc debuggin options might be helping trigger
this.  Could you try either starting bash with "env MALLOC_OPTIONS=aj"
or modifying your /etc/malloc.conf accordingly?  If that causes it to
stop failing (or even if it doesn't), you may want to try installing
devel/valgrind and seeing that shows anything obvious.  You will, of
course, want to compile bash with debugging symbols in that case.

-- Brooks