Re: GEOM architecture and the (lack of) need for foot-shooting

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:18:17 -0700
On Apr 7, 2005, at 10:51 PM, Andrey Chernov wrote:

>> is dropped when the disk disappears. The on-disk data can be modified
>> by partitioning tools. The in-core data does not change because of
>> that,
>> but the in-core data can be brought in sync with the on-disk data by
>> some means (sysctl, ioctl or whatever). The in-core data cannot be
>> edited
>> on its own.
>
> It bring some problems like illegal on-disk modification synced to
> in-core.

Q: what would you consider illegal on-disk modifications?

>  Since on-disk editing is not controlled (and should not be), it
> may overlap or be incorrect in some other way.

Q: why is on-disk editing not controlled and why shouldn't it be?

>  But, if you edit in-core
> partition instead, as I suggest, you can do all sorts of checking and
> safety, easily excluding overlaps, etc.

I can't say I buy into that. I don't see how in-core editing can be
better
checked than on-disk editing. Can you explain?

--
  Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          marcel_at_xcllnt.net