Re: Panic after "in_cksum_skip: out of data by 260"

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:37:10 +0200
> > I have no idea about what could have caused this, but in this case, it
> > would be useful to have a crashdump and its associated kernel.debug file,
> > or at least a backtrace (but you must have enabled the break to debugger
> > on panic).  I guess you could also use addr2line(1) to determine which
> > function caused the panic from the instruction pointer, but it's likely
> > not enough to help understanding the problem.
>
> I understand that, but this is a production server that has otherwise been
> stable for a long time. I suspect that this won't happen again for a while.
>
> I'll reconfigure it as you suggest at the next opportunity ;)

In case of a production server, you should be sure that you want to
drop to debugger on panic since the machine won't reboot itself and
thus will be down until human intervention.  What I would advise you
for now is to configure your rc.conf(5) in order to allow rc.d/savecore
to save a coredump (see my previous mail).

Since you must have rebooted your server now without having dumpdev and
dumpdir set in rc.conf(5) at boot time, you should manually run

  dumpon -v $your_swap_device

With this, upon next panic, FreeBSD will try to dump the whole memory
into you swap device and then rc.d/savecore will save it in a file
when booting.

Finally, be sure that you will have enough space on the filesystem
where $dumpdir points to.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen