Re: powerd(8)

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:08:26 -0500
Lukas Ertl wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, sebastian ssmoller wrote:
>
>> the currently implemented strategy caused the fan of my notebook to
>> switch
>> on within 15 min which it never did with estctrl running :( ...
>

> I also noticed that powerd in adaptive mode keeps my laptop pretty warm.

There's been some discussion on the -mobile list (I believe) about this kind of
thing before.  I think powerd is currently running with a 'best shot'
configuration, and I'm pretty sure that if anyone has a better algorithm in a
patch form for people to try, I'm certain the good people with commit bits would
easily commit a patched better version.  I've been looking at this over the
weekend, and I have a few ideas, but I'm not a C coder, so it could take me
<insert enormous time frame here> to actually make a patch. :)  If someone is
willing to code it, I could send a stream of possible example ideas in 'brain
dump' format, and then do testing.

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.