Re: hw.acpi.battery.life alway at 100

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:36:11 -0700
Guy Brand wrote:
> On 18 avril at 10:09, Nate Lawson wrote:
>>> hw.acpi.battery.time: 94
>>
>>You'll have to do more investigating.  There were no MFCs that I can see
>>to acpi between those two dates.  First, compare the output of dmesg
>>between the working and non-working kernels and see if anything has changed.
>
>   OK. So as shown only hw.acpi.battery.life is wrong in sysctl output.
>   An other symptom is related to this problem: just after a boot the
>   system is weird, the keyboard is reactive (changing ttyv ok, typing
>   commands ok) but answers to commands are very very slow. This
>   strange state lasts around 5 minutes during which
>
>     hw.acpi.battery.life: -1
>     hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
>     hw.acpi.battery.state: 7
>     hw.acpi.battery.units: 1
>     hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
>
>   after this delay, the logs shows a line:
>
>     acpi_cmbat0: battery initialization done, tried 1 times
>
>   and the system is responsive as usual, but the life status is wrong
>   (sticked to 100) as written in my previous mail.
>
>   I diffed the dmesg outputs, here is it:
>
> --- mm-prerelease	Mon Apr 18 21:14:47 2005
> +++ mm-stable	Mon Apr 18 21:17:07 2005
> _at__at_ -587,3 +586,9 _at__at_
>  kernel: Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
>  kernel: start_init: trying /sbin/init
>  kernel: splash: image decoder found: logo_saver
> +kernel: acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 610 us
> +kernel: acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 630 us
> +kernel: acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 820 us
> +kernel: acpi_cmbat0: battery initialization failed, giving up
> +kernel: acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 930 us

Ok, the EC delays are the likely culprit.  The battery driver is not
getting a response from the EC and so you get no battery info.

I'm adding -current to the CC since a change elsewhere in the kernel may
have triggered this.  Is anyone aware why it appears interrupts are now
disabled for a while just after launching init?  The change appeared in
5-STABLE between March 17 and April 17.

Guy, can you try disabling usb?  Also, can you cvsup to dates between
March 17 and April 17 to try to narrow down the exact date this started
occurring?

--
Nate