Re: gnome can not shutdown

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:52:05 -0700
> From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_niksun.com>
> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:30:12 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> On Saturday 16 April 2005 08:03 pm, David Xu wrote:
> > David Xu wrote:
> > > With newest -CURRENT kernel, I can not shutdown gnome from
> > > panel, did anyone encounter the problem ?
> > >
> > > David Xu
> >
> > Here is some gdb outputs, it seems thread 2 stuck in connect(),
> > is UNIX socket broken ?
>
> I am experiencing the same problem.  I rebuilt whole system from world
> and ports, tried different threading libraries, kernel options,
> removed gnome configurations from home directory, etc. but nothing
> helped. :-(  I am using Xfce4 for now...

Just a "me too" (TM-AOL). In my case I see one application, gkrellm,
locking up things. It is stuck in a run state (literally Rs), but is
consuming almost no CPU and can't be killed. kill-9 is simply ignored.

I can only get out of gnome with CRTL-ALT-BS and, when I shout down the
system, I am notified that one or more processes can't be killed. I'm
sure that it is referring to gkrellm.

The problem started sometime after March 31. I have backed up to April 5
and I am still seeing the problem. I will continue to try to track down
exactly when it started as time permits.

Is this the same problem?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)