Re: New driver loading scheme for Project Evil, need input

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:17:44 +0200
Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_icir.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 06:37:32PM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>> I would suggest the driver loads the firmware from disk since you don't need
>> to boot from your TV tuner card :)

AFAIK we don't have such a facility. A disc controller (SCSI/RAID?) in the
tree needs a firmware blob, ath needs a blob (but the license seems to be
ok, so we can have it in the tree), the newly added WLAN drivers need a
binary blob and some other pieces need a blob too. Having a general way of
adding the blob would be better than reinventing the wheel.

> why not ? it's a kind of a network device, after all... :)

---snip---
PXE booting from cxa0:
  Connecting to Channel 5... done.
  Booting CSI at 0x0....
---snip---

;-)

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org     netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137

system consumed all the paper for paging