Re: NFS client/buffer cache deadlock

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman_at_csail.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:29:10 -0400
<<On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:52:33 -0400, Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_FreeBSD.ORG> said:

> I think the first is more useful behavior than the last.  Supporting it
> should be exactly the same as supporting what happens if the actual
> filesystem fills up.  In this case, the filesystem is being requested to
> write more "than there is room for."

Returning a short write for operations on regular files would
definitely be considered astonishing.  The changes that you have made
should be considered flow control, not admission control, and should
appear to the user no differently than if we were waiting for a slow
disk to write something; i.e., the user thread should be blocked until
either the entire write completes, or the process is interrupted by a
signal.

-GAWollman