Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: Mike Tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:05:07 -0400
At 09:44 PM 24/04/2005, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>This driver was recently updated, BTW.

Are you sure you are not thinking of the twa driver ?  The twe changes
recently were some small bug fixes as far as I can tell.

> > I have a faster disk subsystem I can test against (Areca SATA RAID) that
> > works on RELENG_4,RELENG_5 and HEAD and could re-run the tests varying
> just
> > the base OS.  If there is a particular test you feel best simulates disk
> > performance, I am happy to test.
>
>As is well-known, doing meaningful (disk) benchmarks is hard, and it's
>easy to draw incorrect conclusions if you don't understand exactly
>what it is you're measuring.  I'm not an expert in that, but it's been
>discussed on the lists before.

I know benchmarks are fraught with all sorts of caveats.  However, I want
to try and understand ahead of time if moving a certain application from
RELENG_4 to RELENG_5 will work and not fail under real load.  Ten to 15 or
even 20% performance difference is not so great as the one time hits in
buying a faster processor or faster disks or more RAM are inconsequential
compared to  greater stability or more useful features (e.g. filesystem
ACLs, NSS).  However, if the performance difference is greater than 50%
than I need to know that ahead of time.

An honest question, in the UP world, what have you found to be faster on
RELENG_5 than RELENG_4 ?

         ---Mike