Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: Miguel Mendez <flynn_at_energyhq.es.eu.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:01:46 +0200
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:42:54 -0600
Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org> wrote:

> > According to gcc-4.0 release notes, compilation speed for C++ was
> > dramatically increased, up to 25% IIRC.  I think 4.0 is good
> > candidate for merging into HEAD.

> Is this work that you plan on doing for us?

Definitely not for 6.0, and I usually avoid .0 releases on critical
software, but nonetheless it would interesting setting a tinderbox,
launch a buildworld process with gcc40 and see where/if it breaks. I
have a spare k6-2 box I could setup for that task.

> What about the deprecated language constructs in 4.0?

According to http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html, some of the
deprecated constructs are not even valid C, so I see this as an
opportunity to fix buggy code.

>What about the lack of exposure that it's
> had outside of the FSF and Apple development circles?

Exactly the reason why testing will be beneficial. The more tested the
product on FreeBSD the more robust it will be when it's time to get it
into the tree.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez <flynn_at_energyhq.es.eu.org>
http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org