Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: Danny Braniss <danny_at_cs.huji.ac.il>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:19:00 +0300
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:44:34AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> > >No, I'm not going to do it because of lack of knowledge, there are
> > >people who have more experience with it than me.
> > >
> > Well, as I said in another email, switching to GCC 4 just because of
> > dubious "25% faster" (faster at what?  compiling?  resulting generated
> > code?  crashing?) claims in the changelog is not a terribly good
> > reason =-)
>
> 25% faster to compile the code, not running it.

so that closes the argument! i can do a makeworld in about 25 minutes, cutting
it down by 6 minutes will not make any real difference, but it will take
much longer to recode all the 'usupported features'. if you have an
application that takes hours to compile, then please, go ahead and use GCC 4.

my 5c,
	danny