Re: serial/ether console & ramblings

From: Jeff Behl <jbehl_at_fastclick.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:14:01 -0700
Danny Braniss wrote:

>>Eric Anderson wrote:

>>>There are a couple of ports that seem to try to use IPMI.  I haven't
>>>tried them yet though.  (sysutils/freeipmi and sysutils/ipmitool).
>>>
>>>I can tell you that being about to do serial over ethernet (and
>>>possibly power cycling) would be incredibly handy.
>>>
>>>Eric
>>>

>>NIC drivers have to be made aware of IPMI in order for it to function
>>when a shared NIC is used.  This is not the case with the bge driver, at
>>the very least.  See:
>>
>>http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-net/2005-March/thread.html#6725
>>
>>This is also a very big issue for us and we're considering hiring a
>>contractor to get the relevant parts put into the driver...
>>

>i guess IPMI means different things to different people.
>if it's hardware (not a software emulation), then it has some nice things:
>1 - fiddling with the box from far away, without intervention
>    of the OS, like
>	1.1 - turning off (sometimes on will work too :-),
>	1.2 - turning on/off the id light- cool if you have many boxes - i used
>	  to laugh at this, till i found out that on some u1 boxes there is
>          no place to put a label in the back.
>	1.3- finding out all kind of stuff, like when was the box assembled,
>          etc.
>2- SOL, serial over lan: if this would realy work, then no need for
>   all the cables/kvm etc.
>
>point 1.1 and 1.2 is done, so we can via a cli do those things, but it only
>saves a trip to the computer room. 1.3 is for the nit-picky, i have some
>60 u1's, and knowing the status of the FRUs is not that helpful.
>
>point 2, on the other hand is exiting, not only because of the cabling, but
>being able to access the console when needed, without having to connect the
>serail port (which are disappearing).
>
>so is there a client for SOL that runs under FreeBSD?
>(either IPMI 1.5 or 2.0)
>
>danny

but my whole point is that nothing in 1) works remotely (out of band)
when the system and the BMC share the same ethernet controller, at least
with the bge driver.  as i mentioned in the thread, i can power cycle
and see the serial console remotely (number 2 from above) all the way up
to the point where the kernel loads.  as soon as it does, the bge driver
no longer shunts off RMCP packets (what IPMI uses) to the Baseboard
Management Controller, so no IPMI...

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-net/2005-March/006725.html

i'm by no means an expert on this, but i believe it is why IPMI doesn't
work in our situation (IBM e325/6 servers).

jeff