Re: when will pci hotplug in Freebsd

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:34:18 +0100
On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:55:41AM +0800, kylin wrote:
> so ,I wonder if the freebsd 5.4 or later version will support PCI
> hotplug, if there is long time enought before the official providing
> utility,i may develop it on my own, or i will just wait asn see :)

I began doing some of the required work in order to support my Mobility
Electronics EasiDock 5000, which is currently in storage in Berkeley after
having moved back to London proper (hopefully picking up or shipping it
next month).

The EasiDock 5000 is a CardBus-to-PCI device. Whilst it doesn't conform to
any of the other PCI Hotplug standards (it is just a hot-pluggable PCI bus)
the code which needed to be written adds the necessary code paths to our
PCI bus drivers to back out of bus resource allocations and detach instances
cleanly.

The patches to do this are currently in my p4 branch of 5.4-RC1.

The thing we haven't worked out how to do just yet is how to divide the
necessary resources in a strictly hierarchical way.

Regards,
BMS