Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:00:39 +0200
pfgshield-freebsd_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> - Bad press towards the 5.x series.

If it doesn't mentions 5.3 explicitely, it doesn't apply.

> - phk's axe broke one of my favorite ports and I didn't want to spend
> another 6 months "fixing" it.

You failed to tell which port you are talking about.

> - I wanted to use XFree86-4 and building it on my own and figuring out the
> library mess later is not an option.

We still have the XFree86-4 port, and AFAIK it still works (everything else
is a bug). You just have to set a variable in make.conf to make it the
default.

> - Although outdated, the downloadable java support package was available
> for 4.x only.

It should work on 5.3-release too. At least there was an effort to get it
working, and AFAIK they succeeded.

The next time just remember: Everything is possible, you just have to ask if
you don't know how to do it yourself.

Bye,
Alexander.

--