Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: <pfgshield-freebsd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:57:01 +0200 (CEST)
--- Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net> wrote:
> pfgshield-freebsd_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > - Bad press towards the 5.x series.
>
> If it doesn't mentions 5.3 explicitely, it doesn't apply.

It was an article that appeared on osnews.com, it mention 5.3 explicitly
evreything I read there turned to be false.

> > - phk's axe broke one of my favorite ports and I didn't want to spend
> > another 6 months "fixing" it.
>
> You failed to tell which port you are talking about.

Well.. I emailed phk about it and was ignored, the problem was PR'd, and even
when I have an ugly workaround for it, the specific port (x11-toolkits/xview)
was further broken by make changes. I fixed that port before (not much fun),
and while I can accept that things may break, I find the "what I broke is not
my problem" attitude unacceptable.

> > - I wanted to use XFree86-4 and building it on my own and figuring out the
> > library mess later is not an option.
>
> We still have the XFree86-4 port, and AFAIK it still works (everything else
> is a bug). You just have to set a variable in make.conf to make it the
> default.

Well.. while updating from 5.2.1 to 5.3 I esentially had to remove all packages
and install XFree86-4 (which is not in the ISO). I decided it was easier to
move to 4.11.

> > - Although outdated, the downloadable java support package was available
> > for 4.x only.
>
> It should work on 5.3-release too. At least there was an effort to get it
> working, and AFAIK they succeeded.

hmm the diablo-jdk13 port says:

.if ${OSVERSION} >= 502112
ECHO_MSG=	${ECHO_CMD}
IGNORE=		does not run on FreeBSD >= 5.x
.endif

> The next time just remember: Everything is possible, you just have to ask if
> you don't know how to do it yourself.

Well..sometimes you just want a stable development environment and to avoid
pain if at all possible. I have no use for SMP support (or GEOM) and FreeBSD
4.x has given me so much satisfaction all these years that it was a temptation
difficult to resist.

Anyway after going to 4.11, the point is.. I do recommend 5.x, it's better than
4.x.

While here, let me mention what I think about gcc4.0 and FreeBSD 6.0: FreeBSD
6.0 should be able to be built with gcc 4.x even when it's not a good idea to
have it as the default compiler.

cheers,

    Pedro.

Nuovo Yahoo! Messenger: E' molto pił divertente: Audibles, Avatar, Webcam, Giochi, Rubrica… Scaricalo ora!
http://it.messenger.yahoo.it