Re: LINT broken due to ipfilter

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:01:42 -0600
Darren Reed wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:27:08AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>Leaving the tree unbuildable for 3 days is unacceptable.  I doubt that
>>any other active OSS project would tolerate it, and I'm sure that Sun
>>wouldn't tolerate it either.
>

> Well, FreeBSD seems to have a history of allowing this...I seem to recall
> some other part of the build being broken when I did the initial commit
> for ipf...not to mention there being many times in the past when I've seen
> comments about the build being broken in one way or another.

Blaming this botch on someone else isn't acceptable either.  To my
recollection, you have not done a successfull ipfilter import in at
least two years.  Yes, we all appreciate your contribution with
IPFilter, but it's also disruptive, this time especially.

> ...and to compare it with Sun...there's one build command (equivalent of
> building userland + kernel bits) that you have to submit with your request
> to integrate.  But to compare the effort I can spend there vs here, well,
> this gets whatever time I have available, which maybe 1 or 4 or any number
> of hours or minutes inbetween, plus it is upto me to provide my own
> resources.  You can't compare doing development work that you get paid for
> with that you do in your own free time, at your own expense.  Anyone who
> thinks you can is sadly mistaken.  All of us have varying levels of time
> we can put into the project and I'm sure we all put it as much effort as
> we can, given all the other constraints and requirements.
>
> My single biggest issue remains the number of boxes needed to keep things
> compiling on FreeBSD.  4.11, 5.4, -current.  That is a really tough ask
> on anyone and last I checked, there's only a ref4 and a ref5.
>
> So....if you want to make it easier for people like me to make sure they
> haven't broken the build, put a target in src/Makefile that achieves this.
> That is, buildworld and buildkernel and build LINT and whatever else for
> a single platform.  Or at least I think buildworld and buildkernel are
> required, seperately.  "universe" is too much.

'make universe' is the command.  And given that you still have build
problems on 64-bit machines, this command is not 'too much'.  There are
fast freebsd.org machines that can run this.  If you don't know, then
please ask.

> Having said all that, I appreciate any assistance others can give,
> especially clues on what to do with rescue.

Ruslan already replied with a patch several hours ago.  But yes, many
thanks to Ruslan and Giorgos for working on this.

Scott