Re: boot banner project

From: R. Tyler Ballance <tyler_at_tamu.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:17:30 -0500

> As I've told before, I personally strictly dislike idea to add
> something
> till then it's really necessary and desirable.  In my humble opinion,
> polishing representaton of a boot process is generally bad idea. It
> brings nothing useful into boot process, adds more code into system
> (We
> all don't want freebsd to be bloated, do we?), and don't makes such
> users as
> you described above more clever.

I think you're mistaking convenience for bloat...someone mentioned
the old redhat boot process earlier, and I can agree with them, that
that was, convenient, easy to read, and in no way seemed to add any
bloat to the ASCII output.

Now, a pretty image, a la FreeSBIE, _is_ bloat, but I don't think
that's what is being mentioned or suggested here.

Toxa, you make Window Managers, and a lot of GUI apps that make
things like, using MacOS X sound terribly bloated, don't discount
aesthetics right off the bat, they're not always "evil bloat"

-R. Tyler Ballance