Re: tcsh

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:51:13 +0100
On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 02:06:56AM +0000, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Any chance that something so basic as this, that improves things so
> awfully much, could be added to the .tcshrc?  If the idea is liked well
> enough, I will edit it enough so that the special use of prompt strings
> that are specific to tcsh is made conditional.

Might be better to use cwdcmd: (from bms .tcshrc)

%%%
 # Update rxvt title bar and icon when changing directory
 alias cwdcmd 'echo -n "\033]2;${HOST}:$cwd - tcsh\007\033]1;tcsh\007"'
 cwdcmd                                  # Force update upon ~/.tcshrc
                                         # reload.
 set promptchars='%#'            # [un]privileged user shell prompt characters
 set prompt="%B%m:%.06%b %# "    # host:cwd with bold and relative to $HOME
 set ellipsis                    # ellipsize after depth of 6 elements
%%%

I tried to do the same with jobcmd once (update title bar when running
foreground jobs) but had problems with the shell trying to tell when it
was back in interactive mode.

Also, to update the title bar after an ssh session running in the foreground
terminates, some additional work (and possibly patches) would be needed.

Regards,
BMS