Re: FreeBSD 6 is coming too fast

From: <pfgshield-freebsd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:33:06 +0200 (CEST)
--- Jonathan Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu> wrote:

> I take it the PR is ports/75416.  x11-toolkits/xview does not have a
> maintainer.  Pedro, why don't you take the maintainership?  It seems
> you've already done the work; why not share it?  OS development is a
> very dynamic process; in order to take 2 steps forward we often have to
> take 1 step back.  Working through this requires patience and teamwork.
>  Until you start contributing to the team, you may not receive the
> attention you desire.

Hmm.. I've contributed a LOT to the ports tree over the years, I don't see any
lack of respect from the ports guys, but I have found it more confortable to
contribute without taking the full responsability of maintaining the ports.

The problem here is in the OS, not the port. Solaris and Linux both have the
call and the xview code doesn't make any provision for OSs without it,
commenting it out (my workaround) will probably break some applications and
send out the wrong signal that removing legacy stuff is a good idea.

> I was under the impression that the diablo-jdk13 port was just a tested,
> binary version of the jdk13 port.  Perhaps I am wrong on that.  In any
> case, I'm using both linux and native JDKs in production with no issues.

Java works great on FreeBSD 5.x, the distribution issues are SUN's and only
SUN's fault. Nevertheless, they are real issues for people with slow computers
:(.

    Pedro.

Nuovo Yahoo! Messenger: E' molto pił divertente: Audibles, Avatar, Webcam, Giochi, Rubrica… Scaricalo ora!
http://it.messenger.yahoo.it