Re: boot banner project

From: John Sconiers <jsconiers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:34:40 -0500
What is the goal of FreeBSD, it's user community, it's developer and
it's supporting companies / businesses , etc? FreeBSD offers advanced
networking, performance, security and compatibility features today
....or at least that's whats on the web page but is one of the goals
to increase it's user and developer base?  Is this happening?  Several
years ago after being a FreeBSD fan / contributor since ~1995 I left
FreeBSD because I didn't have the time with kids and all.  During that
time I was a unix / storage ps guy for two fortune 500 companies (One
was a vendor of another Unix OS).  I was also "forced" to work with
Linux in production settings. I come back ~three years later and on
the surface things haven't changed.  The boot banner, installation
program,  etc, etc, hasn't changed.  I know there have been many
updates and advanced features added to FreeBSD. Plainly put we need to
include items such as the boot banner not only becasue it can be done
but because it can attract and keep more users.  Adding less then a
meg here or there is not bloat.  Unless of course the goal is to
create an advanced operating system unable to get / keep users.

My $.02