Re: LINT broken due to ipfilter

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:29:40 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20050428155451.GA2192_at_hub.freebsd.org>
            Darren Reed <darrenr_at_hub.freebsd.org> writes:
: On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:27:08AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
: > Leaving the tree unbuildable for 3 days is unacceptable.  I doubt that
: > any other active OSS project would tolerate it, and I'm sure that Sun
: > wouldn't tolerate it either.
:
: Well, FreeBSD seems to have a history of allowing this...I seem to recall
: some other part of the build being broken when I did the initial commit
: for ipf...not to mention there being many times in the past when I've seen
: comments about the build being broken in one way or another.

No.  FreeBSD does not have a history of allowing things to be broken
for 3 days.  While things are sometims broken for this long, it is not
considered acceptable or OK by any means.  The tree must be buildable
at all times, and any breakage longer than a couple of hours is not
considered acceptable and the folks that have broken the tree are
usually remonstrated in privated multiple times for such breakage.
Given then this breakage was 10x longer than the usual threshold for
private complaints, I think that the public complaint is completely
justified.

: My single biggest issue remains the number of boxes needed to keep things
: compiling on FreeBSD.  4.11, 5.4, -current.  That is a really tough ask
: on anyone and last I checked, there's only a ref4 and a ref5.

You only need one box to build universe for -current, since that's
what you broek.

: So....if you want to make it easier for people like me to make sure they
: haven't broken the build, put a target in src/Makefile that achieves this.
: That is, buildworld and buildkernel and build LINT and whatever else for
: a single platform.  Or at least I think buildworld and buildkernel are
: required, seperately.  "universe" is too much.

"universe" can even be built using project resources.  freefall
usually has enough disk space.  However, even if you don't do a
universe, the bare minimum is buildworld, and your import didn't pass
that, and the subsequent delay in fixing it was longer than is
reasonable.

I think you are complaining too loudly here.  The fact remains that
you committed the imported sources to the tree before your integration
with FreeBSD sources was complete.  It took several days to resolve
these integration problems.  That's not acceptable.  Esepcailly when
no heads up was given.

: Having said all that, I appreciate any assistance others can give,
: especially clues on what to do with rescue.

Yes.  That was a good thing.  The community really pulled together
here.

Warner