Re: boot banner project

From: <cpghost_at_cordula.ws>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 04:28:33 +0200
On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 05:31:49PM -0700, /dev/null wrote:
> > The same holds true for boot banners: not every hardware out there
> > has hires graphics capabilities.
> FWIW, the project *intends* to make itself an *option*, not something that
> that needs to be disabled - which I think would be irresponsible in this
> case.

Please don't top post.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with that. As long as the default still
installs over PXE, serial etc... (think rack mounted U1/U2 headless
servers as yet another typical platform that a lot of us manage by
the hundreds).

However, there's no reason why this should be part of the official
source tree. Use a port for optional kernel or bootloader stuff.

IMHO, the easiest way to achieve this, would be to write a port
that creates a custom ISO, with that (hypothetical) bells and
whistles GUI installer/boot prompt and a custom kernel with
your extension. Something like sysutils/freesbie port...
sysutils/eyecandy perhaps? ;)

Happy hacking.

Cheers,
-cpghost.