Re: cleanup-boot.messages+overhaul-install

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:38:09 +0200
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 03:27:53 -0700 (PDT)
"/dev/null" <null_at_dnswatch.com> wrote:

> Greetings All,
>  Now that I have your attention. ;) There seems to be some "clean-up" work
> that could be done in the boot messaging area. I would like to apply for

I suggest to add more "spaces" to your postings (e.g. start a new
paragraph where a new context begins). They look like one large blob of
text. This isn't easy to read.

> the job. I've made some mention of thoughts I had on it in other messages.
> So I'll reiterate them here. I think the ASCII spray could be unified
> somewhat and that an additional "knob" could be added that would
> effectively act as a Volume knob. Technically, it would be a 3
> position switch/ knob with: OFF/ NORMAL/ LOUD. It could probably
> accommodate additional fine tuning, like subsettings. But initially, the
> 3 shouldn't freak too many ppl out. ;)

I suggest to start with a cleanup of the actual way of displaying
things.

When the actual startup shows a consistent behavior, a refactoring into
the possibility to show n ways of status displays can start.

"Step by step progress"... you know?

Bye,
Alexander.

--