Hot-swap SATA and atacontrol

From: Justin Finkelstein <justin_at_redwiredesign.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:33:24 +0100
Hi

I'm trying to find out about the safety of hot-swappable sata devices when
not using a raid configuration.
What I'd like is to be able to remove a hot-swap drive while the system's
powered up.

The drive has its own sata channel, so I issue the following commands:

	umount /dev/ad2s1d - to dismount the drive
	atacontrol detach 1 - to stop all further ata commands going to the
device

This appears to work just fine, but I'd like a second opinion.

Any thoughts?

j.

Redwire Design Limited
Studio 12