Re: Panic on FreeBSD 6.0BETA1

From: Ben Kaduk <minimarmot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 05:47:22 +0000
The de facto standards of this list require me to ask that you do not top-post

On 8/4/05, Derrick Edwards <dantavious_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 04 August 2005 01:00, Ben Kaduk wrote:
>         Thanks for the reply,
> I used the following sequence to upgrade my firewall from 5.4 Stable to 6.0
> BETA1 and all worked well. It is my desktop that is giving me the blues.
> After a successful build and install of the kernel, I reboot and attempt to go
> to single user mode to complete the install. After pressing 4 to go to single
> user mode it panics. Since I have the debugging options turned on is there a
> way I capture the pertinent information that you mentioned, without having to
> manually write it :) If so, point me to the documentation and I will have at
> it. Again, thanks for the reply.
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/bash
> cd /usr/obj
> chflags -R noschg *
> rm -rf *
> /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L2 /root/cvs-supfile
> cd /usr/src/
> make -j2 buildworld
> make -j2 buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
> make -j2 installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
> reboot into single user mode
> make installworld
> mergemaster -cv
> reboot..
>

> > On 8/4/05, Derrick Edwards <dantavious_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I decided to try and help with testing 6-BETA1, after updating sources
> > > and recompiling i get the following during boot up. I am tried booting
> > > without hyperthreading enabled in the bios and I still get the same
> > > panic.
> > >
> > > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > > cpuid = 0; apic id =00
> > > fault virtual address = 0x480008
> > > fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> > > instruction pointer = 0x20:0xc06923cc
> > > stack pointer = 0x28:0xc10208ec
> > >
> > > Code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> > >   = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> > >
> > > processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resyne, IOPL = 0
> > > current process = 0 (swapper)
> > > [thread pid 0tid0]
> > > Stopped at strlen+0x8: cmpb $0,0(%edx)
> > >
> > > I left all the debugging features in the current however, I am not sure
> > > exactly how to trace this problem. If someone could point me to any doc
> > > that would allow to provide more information that would be great. I
> > > updated my pen 400MHZ using the same procedures and all went well. Please
> > > help
> > >
> > > CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (1866.74-MHz 686-class CPU)
> > >  Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0xf29 Stepping = 9
> > >
> > > Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,
> > >MCA, CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,D TS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
> > > Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
> > > real memory = 1073676288 (1023 MB)
> > > avail memory = 1036931072 (988 MB)
> > > ACPI APIC Table: <IntelR AWRDACPI>
> > > FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
> > > cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID: 0
> > > cpu1 (AP): APIC ID: 1
> > >

> > > Thanks for your assistance
> > > Derrick

[snip]

Derrick -- the easiest way to capture debug output without typing it by
hand is to use a serial console.  If you have free serial ports on
your desktop and some other machine nearby, and a null-modem serial
cable, you can connect the two machines and output the console output
through the serial port into a terminal window on the second machine;
from here you can just cut and paste.
I haven't actually needed to do this myself, but if at the boot screen
with the beastie, where you pressed '4' do boot single-user, if you
instead drop back to the loader (can't remember the number at the
moment), you shoule be able to do one of the following:
boot -h -v
or
set console=comconsole
boot -v

which direct the console output to the serial port and display extra
debug output during boot (this is the '-v' flag).  As I say, I haven't
done this
myself, but I think at least one of them is supposed to work.
Really, the tough part is to get your hands on a null-modem serial
cable; the ECE storeroom at my university sells them, so I now have
one in case I need to set up a serial console, so I got lucky I guess.
More detailed information about setting up and using a serial console is
in the FreeBSD handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

If you don't manage to get a serial console set up, you might consider
taking digital pictures of the output and posting them online
somewhere -- this has been done before by others in that position.

Hope this helps,

Ben Kaduk