Re: amd64 buildworld broken ...

From: Pascal Hofstee <caelian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:00:27 -0700
On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 02:50 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 06:30:41PM -0500, Jonathan Noack wrote:
> > >Well .. it looks like make cleanworld doesn't clean up /usr/obj/lib32 so
> > >after manually issuing an "rm -Rf /usr/obj/lib32" buildworld still
> > >breaks .. but in a different location now.
> >
> > I haven't seen any tinderbox failures recently so I think amd64 HEAD
> > builds.  Try "rm -rf /usr/obj/*".  Coupled with a new /usr/src (which
> > you already have), that should get you a clean build environment.
> >
> I'd also suggest running "env -i /usr/bin/make buildworld
> __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null", for the best known cleanness.

I had another close look at my /etc/make.conf when it suddenly hit me.
I have not yet been able to confirm buildworld indeed no longer
breaks ... but i think i found the source of my problem.

I have been trying to use ccache for buildworlds a little while back ...
but never could get it to pass building libcrypto.so.4 (iirc) .. but it
worked perfectly for my ports tree.

So i thought i had properly disabled ccache for /usr/src based builds by
removing the /usr/src/ check that normally enables the usage of ccache
as follows:

.if !defined(NOCCACHE)
#.if ${.CURDIR:M/usr/src*} || ${.CURDIR:M/usr/ports*}
.if ${.CURDIR:M/usr/ports*}
CC=/usr/local/libexec/ccache/cc
CXX=/usr/local/libexec/ccache/c++
.else
CC=cc
CXX=c++
.endif
.else
CC=/usr/bin/cc
CXX=/usr/bin/c++
.endif

it just hit me that this makes /usr/src use the bottom CC=/usr/bin/cc
section ... instead of the supposed CC=cc section.

I am almost positive this indeed is what broke my buildworld.
I apologize for the linenoise.

I am currently running a new buildworld with the ccache bits completely
removed from my make.conf to confirm this was the source of my
buildworld breakage but i am about 99.99% sure.

With kind regards,
  Pascal Hofstee