ath problem

From: Andy Bontoft <andy_at_bontoft.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:22:44 +0200
Hello,
I'm unable to get a wireless access point to work properly and for the
life of me I can't work out why. I've spent the past few evenings
trawling the mailing list archives without much success. I'm hoping
someone can point me in the right direction.
It's an Atheros 5212 (Wistron cm9 miniPCI) in a soekris 4801 box.
A test client (WinXP SP2) can associate and on occasion obtains an
address from the DHCP server on the ether side of the AP. Most of the
time it is unable to obtain an address however, and even when it does
after a few seconds it changes to the default not connected address of
the 169.254/16 network.
Initially I was trying to configure hostap for wpa+802.1x (EAP_TLS), the
802.1x worked fine and the XP laptop received its address, again after a
few seconds the address would revert to the 169.254/16 network. To try
and identify the issue I switched to a simple wep mode (without hostap),
but I have the same issue. The athstats tool reports a lot of failures.
I haven't attached pages and pages of debug output as I'm not sure what
would be required and don't want to flood the list. I have just attached
a few of the basic things, but if more information is required I can
obviously supply it.
Thanks for your time
andy
btw - the same laptop works perfectly with an identical config (except
the SSID is different) on second 'off the shelf' AP.

ap# ifconfig ath0
ath0: flags=8847<UP,BROADCAST,DEBUG,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::20b:6bff:fe35:cb82%ath0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 0.255.255.255
        ether 00:0b:6b:35:cb:82
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <hostap>
        status: associated
        ssid Z channel 9 bssid 00:0b:6b:35:cb:82
        authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey 1 wepkey 1:104-bit txpowmax 53
        protmode CTS dtimperiod 1 bintval 100

ap# sysctl net.link.ether.bridge
net.link.ether.bridge_cfg: "ath0,sis0"
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw: 0
net.link.ether.bridge_ipf: 0
net.link.ether.bridge.config: "ath0,sis0"
net.link.ether.bridge.enable: 1
net.link.ether.bridge.predict: 0
net.link.ether.bridge.dropped: 0
net.link.ether.bridge.packets: 0
net.link.ether.bridge.ipfw_collisions: 0
net.link.ether.bridge.ipfw_drop: 0
net.link.ether.bridge.copy: 0
net.link.ether.bridge.ipfw: 0
net.link.ether.bridge.ipf: 0
net.link.ether.bridge.debug: 2
net.link.ether.bridge.version: 031224

ap# ./athstats
1666 tx management frames
5 tx frames discarded prior to association
996 tx failed 'cuz too many retries
11502 long on-chip tx retries
221 tx frames with no ack marked
204 tx frames with short preamble