Re: No keyboard in sysinstall in 6.0-BETA2

From: Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin_at_savvis.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 09:08:25 -0700
Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 19:08 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6.0-BETA2 from CD on Dell Precision 380.
>>The machine has a PS/2 keyboard on it.  The keyboard works fine in the
>>BIOS, and at the Booting... prompt.  However, once sysinstall comes up,
>>the keyboard is dead.  Nothing I type will be accepted.  The machine
>>does not appear to be panicked or hung.
>>
>>I switched from vidconsole to comconsole, and sysinstall works, so
>>perhaps this has something to do with the new keyboard mux?
>>
>>Dmesg is at http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/NEW-SHUMAI.dmesg
>

> More news on this.  After getting 6.0-BETA2 installed from the serial
> console, I found that _any_ input on the PS/2 port causes the machine to
> lock up hard.  I can break into the debugger, but as soon as I hit any
> key on the PS/2 keyboard, the machine locks up. I can't type anything
> (even from the serial console).  The only way out is to do a hard reset.
>
> I've tried building a custom kernel and disabling apic and acpi.
> Nothing will get 6.0 to work with any locally attached keyboard.
>
> I also found a CD of 5.4-RC3, which boots perfectly on this machine with
> working PS/2 and USB keyboards.  So, I thought maybe the kbdmux was the
> problem.  I reverted the kbd code to original RELENG_6 version (kbd.c
> rev. 1.43 and kbdreg.h rev. 1.17), and the keyboard works once again.
> Anything else I can try to debug this problem with kbdmux further?

i doubt kbdmux(4) is your problem. according to the dmesg you have
posted you dont seem to use/load kbdmux(4) driver. it is highly unlikely
that my changes in /sys/dev/kbd/ cause this. kbdmux(4) is not default
keyboard and, at this point, one must configure/load it by hand. my
guess would be that you, perhaps, have some sort of interrupt routing
problem or something like it.

thanks,
max