Re: RELENG_6: cannot make buildworld

From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser_at_sigpipe.cz>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 23:17:18 +0200
# bkoenig_at_cs.tu-berlin.de / 2005-08-07 22:59:50 +0200:
> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>
> >CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> >COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
>
> Why do you use -O since -O2 is default in RELENG_6?

    Because I'm conservative in this regard. :) (Plus, this machine
    has given me a few rocks with gmirror, don't want to risk useless
    backtraces.

> >NO_NIS=
>
> Just by the way, I noticed some ugly error messages about unknown login
> classes in a world with NO_NIS.
>
> >NO_SHARED=
>
> This adds "-static" to almost everything which is a bad idea; it is also
> the reason for your failed buildworld.
>
> The origin for this knob is PR conf/48569 which says "do NOT use unless
> you known what are you doing", but the committed comment in
> src/share/examples/etc/make.conf is a little bit wrong and malformed.
> Someone should fix this.

    Yeah, perhaps it should say "this will break buildworld".
    Thanks for the clarification.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.