Re: Suggestion

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:53:06 -0700
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 07:35:18PM -0400, drvince_at_Safe-mail.net wrote:
> Hi,
> it would be nice to have a distribution for a skinny jail.  It
> could be a kind of "make release TYPE={jail|dvd|cd|floppy}
> CHROOTDIR=/path/to/jail CVSROOT=/usr/src".  Now, solutions for
> slimming jails are questionnable, doing so would standardize it.

I've been playing with a slightly hacked up version of the nanobsd
makefile[0] that results in an installed directory with the
customizations I need for diskless booting (I boot full, self contained
roots) rather than a disk image (basically I deleted the part where it
makes the image from the installed directory and moved the working
directory to DESTDIR).  Generalizing this could be very useful for both
diskless and jail users.  I'm no where near ready to release anything,
but you might try this as a starting point, particularly since nanobsd
already has bits to shrink the image.

-- Brooks

[0] Yes I know it's being replaced by a shell script, I'll look at that
after what I've got is working.