Re: Portsnap is now in the base system

From: Thierry Herbelot <thierry_at_herbelot.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 19:02:54 +0200
Le Tuesday 9 August 2005 11:04, Colin Percival a écrit :
> About 12 hours ago I committed portsnap to HEAD.  From the commit log:
>
>   Add portsnap to the base system.  This is a secure, easy to use,
>   fast, lightweight, and generally good way for users to keep their
>   ports trees up to date.

Hello,

I've had a look at the man page(s), and at the web page on
http://www.daemonology.net/portsnap/ I'm still missing one piece of
information : how are the ports snapshots initially built ?

One misfeature of cvs is the possibility to fetch incomplete updates to the
repository (no atomic commits in cvs, and this must be carried over to
cvsup). Do "your" snapshots behave better in this domain ?

As one last question : I assume the same process of building "coherent"
snapshots could be also applied to the core cvs repository of the full
FreeBSD project, and a cvs-snap utility could be imagined ?

	Thanks for Portsnap and FreeBSD Update

	TfH