Re: More into /etc/rc.d/jail

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 23:43:30 +0200
Hi,

> I'm using jails inside md devices to limit the disk space each jail can use.  It's working great but I have to start manually all of them at startup.  Here's my drill:
>
> mdconfig -a -t vnode -f ${IMAGE} -u ${ID}
> fsck_ufs /dev/md${ID}c
> mount /dev/md${ID}c ${DEST}
> mount_devfs devfs ${DEST}/dev
> jail -l -U root ${DEST} ${FQDN} ${IP} /bin/sh /etc/rc
>
> Therefore, I can't use the /etc/rc.d/jail facility.  So I thought, it would be good to add *fsck before mounting* and an optional mdconfig beforehand.
>
> jail_${NAME}_md_device=""    # The device to attach or NO
> jail_${NAME}_image=""        # The image file containing the jail, used with md_device
> jail_${NAME}_fsck_options="" # Options to pass to fsck
>
> In fsck_options I could put "-t ufs".  Of course, /dev/md${ID}c must be present before mounting, could happen if the image isn't bsdlabel'ed.
>
> I'm a terrible coder, I could do it, but I'll need coaching and I've never made a patch.  I would gladly hand that to someone else but I also need it to be done, I can't babysit the server forever.  So, how does it sound?

This was recently discussed in some thread.  The problem with this
approach is that file backed md(4) devices are too slow to make it
standard.  This is why this won't go into FreeBSD, IMHO.

If you can find the scattered thread called "limit jail disk space"
on this page :
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2005-July/thread.html

You will also find a very small port of FreeVPS for FreeBSD that might
bring what you are looking for (although I've not tested personal).

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen