Re: RTCoreBSD

From: Momtchil Momtchev <momtchil.momtchev_at_netasq.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:42:14 +0200
On Wednesday 10 August 2005 10:40, Bsderss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found this real-time OS based on BSD:
> http://www.sdcsystems.com/realtime-linux.htm#rtcorebsd
>
> I m wondering what technology they used to make
> FreeBSD as a real-time OS. I thought kqueue/kevent is
> a key component? any comment?

 No, kqueue/kevent is not realtime, as the whole FreeBSD kernel doesn't
support hard real-time scheduling.
 In order to have hard real-time scheduling you should have a fully preemtible
kernel, which schedules and preempts everything (even interrupt handlers).
 The RTCoreBSD uses a two-kernel approach with a real-time microkernel which
runs the FreeBSD kernel as a process, providing a virtual interrupt
controller.
 The real-time processes run directly on the microkernel and can't directly
use the FreeBSD kernel services.

Momtchil Momtchev <momtchil.momtchev_at_netasq.com>
R&D Engineer

Netasq - Secure Internet Connectivity
http://www.netasq.com
Tel : +33 320 619 742