Re: dhclient problems

From: Beecher Rintoul <akbeech_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:39:23 -0800
On Thursday 11 August 2005 05:05 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 05:02:15PM -0800, Beecher Rintoul wrote:
> > I'm having problems with the new dhclient not returning the gateway on
> > my wireless card. I reinstalled isc-dhclient and the probs went away.
> > My question is there a knob such as "NO_DHCLIENT" I can put in
> > make.conf?
>
> No.  Care to help improve freebsd by providing some debugging info?
> You're server is presumably doing something dhclient isn't expecing
> which is causing it to reject the gateway.  If we could find out what it
> is we could fix it.
>
> -- Brooks

As much as i would like to... it's a new machine for a client in a VERY
micro$oft oriented business. He likes FreeBSD with the KDE suite and replaced
his desktop out of his own pocket. The box is a MSI 8-T with a 2800+ Athlon.
I needed to install ndis for a D-Link AG-350, so I had 7.0 on the box. The
box would hang on boot at dhclient, then return 0.0.0.0. for the router addy.
(the IP and DNS were correct). Killing and restarting dhclient would finally
get the proper gateway. I tried the box at home and it worked, but would hang
about 30 seconds on boot at dhclient. After going back to isc-dhcp, I just
reinstalled  5-STABLE (stock) and all the problems went away. I'm not sure if
the problem was dhclient or ndis related, but I don't have a supported card,
or easy access to the machine to troubleshoot any further. BTW, the ndis
driver works very well with that card running 5.4. I have the same card at
home running -CURRENT on an old HP, and have had no dhclient problems.

Thanks for your response,

Beech

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech_at_gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \