Re: [Patch] Serial ATAPI is not recognized

From: Vadim Chekan <vchekan_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:55:21 +0000
Søren Schmidt wrote:

> On 12/08/2005, at 2:15, Vadim Chekan wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I've bought a SATA dvd burner, Plextor PX-712-SA and found that
>> FreeBSD 6 does not recognize it. But freebsd-5 does. After some  time
>> spent on investigation I found that it needs reset commad be  issued
>> before get ATAPI_MAGIC_LSB and ATAPI_MAGIC_MSB.
>>
>> In ata-chipset.c:ata_sata_connect() I put
>>     ATA_IDX_OUTB(ch, ATA_ALTSTAT, ATA_A_IDS | ATA_A_RESET);
>>     ata_udelay(10000);
>> before
>>    if ((ATA_IDX_INB(ch, ATA_CYL_LSB) == ATAPI_MAGIC_LSB) &&
>>
>> and it works now. At least I checked burncd in CDRW mode. It hungs
>> or gives error at the end but produces valid CD.
>

> SATA/ATAPI is not supported yet, and the above patch is by far not
> enough for all systems to work.
> In fact you are just lucky on your system, for the heck of it I tried
> it here and my test system lost all its SATA disks :)
> Support is in the works and will hit -current when its stable enough
> for general usage....
>
> - Søren

Then I'll be one of the first who check this support.
Thanks for your job!

BTW, I was a little bit puzzled by the code in
ata-chipset.c:ata_achi_allocate()
/* XXX SOS this is a hack to satisfy various legacy cruft */
    ch->r_io[ATA_CYL_LSB].res = ctlr->r_res2;
    ch->r_io[ATA_CYL_LSB].offset = ATA_AHCI_P_SIG + 1 + offset;
    ch->r_io[ATA_CYL_LSB].res = ctlr->r_res2;
    ch->r_io[ATA_CYL_MSB].offset = ATA_AHCI_P_SIG + 3 + offset;

If I understand the logic of the code correct, in the line before last
should be ATA_CYL_MSB, not ATA_CYL_LSB. Looks like it's typo and
ch->r_io[ATA_CYL_MSB].res is never initialized by this code. Neither I
can find where it is initialized at all. But somehow it works !?

Vadim.