Re: 82801FB/FR/FW/FRW Intel High Definition Audio Controller

From: Frank Mayhar <frank_at_exit.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 08:54:13 -0700
On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 11:17 +0200, sledgehammer_at_revier.net wrote:
> In June I posted the output of my pciconf, see below. I can't get my
> soundcard to work in FreeBSD. I upgraded to FreeBSD 7.0 current just
> yesterday and it's up to date but it still won't work...are there any
> plans to give support for the Intel High Definition Audio Controller, it's
> kind of sad if I can't watch video, listen to music on my new Siemens PC.
> Everything else seems to be working just fine now...thanks.

>From a quick scan of the ICH6 Programmer's Ref, it appears that in at
least some respects, this chipset is compatible with the ICH4 chipset,
among others.  From Intel Doc #30234903:
	The ICH6 AC '97 controller is fully compatibility with the
	features found in the ICH1/2/3/4/5 versions. This allows for
	current drivers developed by ISVs and IHVs to work without
	modifications (see Section 1.1.3.4.) The ICH6 however, provides
	new capabilities not found in some of earlier ICH family of
	components.

So I'll bet that if you taught the driver about the PCI IDs, it would
probe successfully as an ICH4, which I know is supported.  Not having an
ICH6 I can't test it here, but the change should be relatively trivial.
--
Frank Mayhar frank_at_exit.com     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/