Re: SAS controllers and SATA tunneling

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:31:27 -0400
Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
>
>> Andre Oppermann wrote:
>>
>>> Does one of our SCSI-SAS controllers support multiplexors and
>>> SATA tunneling (STP)?
>>>

>> No.  Adding a SAS module to the MPT driver is probably the easiest
>> option by far.  SAS chips from Adaptec, Intel, Vitesse, and others
>> likely do not have a FreeBSD driver nor the available documentation to
>> write a FreeBSD driver.
>

> Oops, how does our future look then?  Are we going to be restricted to
> SATA?  I'd say in 2006 all new servers will be SAS-only.  Old parallel
> SCSI is dead.

Like I said, the mpt driver will be fairly easy and straight forward to
add SAS and STP front ends.  Their chips are also likely to be very
decent.  It's up to Vitesse/Adaptec whether or not they want to be
relevant, though I guess that they won't care and it'll come down to
someone slogging through a linux driver (if one is even released) to
reverse engineer it.  Intel is somewhat of an unknown quantity, though
my guess is that you'll see what amounts to a winmodem-like chip that
requires a huge complex driver.

Another option would be to do what I wanted to do last year with
extending the NDIS wrapper to cover Storport (and whatever the Longhorn
follow-on is) so that Windows drivers can be used.

Scott