Re: Unable to build libedit

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:42:41 -0700
> Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:16:30 -0600
> From: Phil Oleson <oz_at_nixil.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Stefan Farfeleder wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 01:00:48PM -0600, Phil Oleson wrote:
> >
> >>Personally, I'm still unsure why we have histedit.h pre-installed in
> >>src/include.  This might be showing my ignorance of some of the build
> >>mechanisms in the main src tree, but wouldn't this work out better if
> >>histedit.h was located in src/lib/libedit until install time?
> >

> > I guess the reason for putting most headers into src/include is that it
> > prevents dozens of -I paths while building.
> >
> > Stefan
>
> well, I was looking at the Makefile in src/lib/libedit and it only uses
> 'CFLAGS+= -I. -I${.CURDIR}',  So in the upgrade case it wouldn't find
> the histedit.h in /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include.  Though now that I
> think about it, I can see where the -I paths for other base system apps
> that use libedit would suffer (sh,tftp,fsdb,cdcontrol,lpr-lpc).  I think
> an additional -I needs to be added to the libedit Makefile, something
> like -I${WORLDTMP}/usr/include ??

I don't think so. buildworld is supposed to build the system using the
files in the /usr/obj directory. That's why the /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/
structure is there. I don't see explicit references to it in other
Makefiles. All of the header files built in the 'includes' pass should
be there and be used in lieu of the standard system header files during
the 'all' pass of buildworld. Of course, if they are not there, I guess
that the /usr/include files will be used, but 'histedit.h IS there.

Still lost in a maze of twisty little .mk files, all different.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)