Re: [PANIC] 6.0BETA2 in l2ping flood

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:30:22 +0100 (BST)
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> +> Thanks for explaining this, you have saved me a lot of suffering.
> +>
> +> This patch fixes the panic on destroy, is it the correct way to solve
> +> the problem? I need to commit something before 6.0.
>
> My explanation wasn't quite right.
>
> callout_reset() is called on a valid handle, but right after that, softc
> structure if freed, so when softclock calls your function, softc is
> already dead.
>
> Here is a patch which fix it:
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/if_bridge.c.patch
>
> If you don't want to change bridge_softc structure size, you can also
> verify in bridge_init() if the given 'sc' is on bridge_list list.

I'm not all that familiar with the details here, as I haven't had a chance
to read the code in question in much detail.  However, I'm more
comfortable with a change that introduces a softc flag than an
if_drv_flags flag, as right now if_drv_flags is generally used to expose
driver state to the network stack, and there doesn't appear to be a common
requirement across drivers (yet) for a dying state.  It sounds like your
patch addresses this implicitly...

Robert N M Watson